What Are The Different Types Of Security Cameras
Once the decision has been made to make your home and loved ones more secure, you go to purchase a security camera only to be overwhelmed by the number and choices. If your goal is to protect your home or business, there are several types of cameras you may want to consider. So let’s take a look at each one of these security cameras and their uses.
Determining Which Camera Type To Use
In addition to your budget and your security needs, it is important to know which camera will work best for you.
- Bullet Camera: Named bullet as it resembles a bullet. They are easy to mount and the tip has a cover so you have less glare and weather protection. They are considered a good visual deterrent as well. The downside is that they are prone to vandalism and only have one view so you may need more than one.
- Dome Camera: While dome cameras are commonly used indoors, they can be used outdoors as well. With similar functions as a bullet camera they do, however, have a wide field of vision and can be remotely controlled to pan, zoom or tilt. They are also more tamper-proof than the bullet camera.
- IP Camera: IP cameras are also known as wireless cameras and use a wireless network to collect and stream data. It is important that you have a good wireless router. If you have a weak connection the camera image will tend to not be as sharp.
- Indoor and Outdoor Cameras: Make sure you get the right one for the right location Most outdoor cameras have infrared for night viewing. Indoor cameras are not waterproof and not ideal for exterior installation in the elements.
- Wired and Wireless: wired cameras are directly connected to a recorder. They need to be connected to a DVR and NVR. Wireless while not directly connected, still require a power cord. Wire-free cameras utilize a battery for power.
- Smart Voice Integrated Cameras: The easiest of all cameras they are Wi-Fi enabled, controlled by a smartphone app. Many of them also have tilting and swivel options, motion detection for instant alerts.
Other Considerations When Buying a Security Camera
Once you have examined the different types of cameras you also need to look at what features you want for your camera. Here are some questions to consider:
- What size camera do you need for your exterior home protection?
- How many cameras will be required to cover all areas of your home?
- What recording options do you need?
- Do you have enough outdoor power supplies in the areas you want to mount the cameras?
- Do you want live streaming so you can monitor the kids playing in the yard as well as protection or are you only interested in motion activated streaming?
- What resolution and distance do you wish to cover?
- Last but not least and the most important consideration, what is the best camera for my needs and my budget?
The Right Security Camera For You
Deciding which security camera is right for you depends entirely on your needs. The best way to know for sure is to work with a qualified security expert. A qualified security expert will assess your property, identify risks, and help put together a customized solution right for you.