The Top Benefits Of A Home Security System For Seniors
The Baby Boomers are now entering their golden years. Many want to remain in their own homes to stay independent and not rely on their family for help. Yet families worry that mom or dad may not be safe living alone in their home. A professional home security system can alleviate many of the concerns that arise in the family when a senior decides to remain in their home. There are several reasons seniors should consider a home security system:
- Independence: This is an important aspect for many seniors as they want to stay in their own home as long as possible and not be a burden to their children.
- Protection: Not just from burglars, but also from carbon monoxide poisoning, fire, and frozen pipes.
- Automation: Home security systems can maintain home temperatures, turn off lights and monitor appliances.
- Monitoring: With a professionally installed home security system, family members or caregivers can be alerted when something is wrong, not just with home but also the senior’s welfare and health.
Security Systems Provide Medical Safety For Seniors
One of the biggest concerns of caregivers or family members is the worry about mom and dad’s safety alone in their home. What if they fall, or have a medical issue? Many are suffering from the effects of aging and their mental facilities are not as acute as they were. A security alarm with medical panic buttons will provide peace of mind. These can be installed throughout the house but especially in the areas where the senior is at most risk, such as the bathroom, kitchen and bedroom. While the alarm that the person wears around the neck may make sense, if the senior has a pacemaker, they should never wear one as the frequency once they depress the button can interfere with the function of the pacemaker.
What To Look For When Buying Security For The Elderly
Every senior’s needs are different and will require a customized system. However, here are some key features that you should look for when shopping for a professional home security system:
- Make sure the company has a good reputation and has been in business for a while
- Check online to see if there are any reviews and call the Better Business Bureau for their rating
- Make sure they have an adequate and trained staff monitoring the alarms
- The company should have its own call center and not a contract agency
- Check the contract carefully and avoid any long term commitments
Finally, you’ll want to check out the prices. There is nothing wrong with shopping around for the best deal on a professional home security. Check price versus services provided and always make sure that the price includes the installation of the security system in the home.
A professionally installed alarm system will not only provide security, monitoring and medical assistance but can be upgraded as the senior ages. This will not only give mom and dad a feeling of security and independence but will provide peace of mind to children and caregivers, knowing that the senior is protected. If you have a senior in your life wants to stay on their own, consider helping them find a complete security system.